How To Prevent Problematic Wasps Around Your Baltimore Yard
May 20, 2023
For some people, just the thought of having a wasp in their yard is enough to make them want to stay indoors forever. If you see a wasp, it is best to keep your distance, but it is important to note that not all wasps are aggressive and eager to sting you.
At ATC Pest Control, we understand the type of fear that people have for these flying insects. Our Baltimore pest control technicians can help you identify the different types of wasps around your home and give you tips on how to keep you and your family safe from these stinging insects.
Habits And Behaviors Of Common Wasps
Many types of wasps are found in Baltimore. Some of the wasps have similar physical characteristics that make them difficult to identify. However, they all have unique habits and behaviors. Here is a look at some of the most common types of wasps you are likely to see around your Baltimore home.
- Bald-faced hornets: Bald-faced hornets are a type of wasp with black bodies with white markings. Their faces have a little bit of black coloring on them but are mostly white. Bald-faced hornets are social wasps that usually build their nests in trees, under roofs, and other elevated surfaces.
- Yellow jackets: This is another type of social wasp that likes to live in a group. They have black and yellow striped bodies that are segmented. They like to build aerial nests. However, if the conditions are right, they will also find a hole in the ground and live in an underground nest.
- Mud daubers: This type of wasp can grow over an inch long. They usually have solid black bodies, but they can sometimes have a dark blue tint. The mud dauber is a solitary wasp that gets its name from the way it builds its nest out of clumps of mud.
- Paper wasps: This type of wasp is usually only about ⅝ of an inch long. They typically have brown and yellow markings. Their nests are usually shaped like upside-down umbrellas and look as if they have been wrapped in paper.
The wasps in this area are not usually aggressive. However, if you try to move their nests or they feel you are threatening them in any way, they will try to sting you.
The Potential Dangers Of A Wasp Infestation In Your Yard
Wasps can sting multiple times without losing their stinger. Usually, the symptoms of a wasp sting are minimal and go away on their own. However, if you are stung several times by multiple wasps, the amount of venom that is injected into your body could cause more serious symptoms that require immediate medical attention.
Five Eco-Friendly And Effective Wasp Prevention Tips
Some easy steps that you can take to keep wasps away from your home include:
- Don't leave sugary foods and drinks outside.
- Keep your food and drinks covered if you are eating outdoors.
- Don't wear sweet-smelling perfumes or shampoos when you are outdoors.
- Minimize excess water on your property by fixing leaks and maintaining drainage systems.
- Keep your yard clutter-free.
Wasps can squeeze through tiny cracks and crevices. If you see any potential entrances around your home, be sure to seal them up immediately.
Contact The Pros For Complete Wasp Control For Your Yard
If you are struggling to keep wasps away from your Baltimore home, give us a call today. At ATC Pest Control, our professional home pest control team knows how to safely remove these dangerous insects from your property and keep them away.