Mosquito Identification & Prevention
Your Guide to Effective Mosquito Removal
Mosquitoes are buzzing nuisance pests in Baltimore, MD, that can ruin your enjoyment of the outdoors unless professional removal tactics are put into place. Don't let these biting insects ruin your time outside. Instead, get expert help from the professionals at ATC Pest Control. We can help you eliminate mosquitoes on your property and prevent them from returning.
Learn more about mosquitoes and how to keep them away from your property in this guide.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mosquitoes
What are mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes are an easily recognizable species of small fly that belongs to the scientific family of Culicidae. They have slender bodies, a pair of almost transparent wings, six legs, and elongated mouthparts that they use to feed on plant nectar. Female mosquitoes also bite humans to drink blood, which helps them properly develop their eggs so the mosquito lifecycle can continue.
While mosquitoes are problematic, they are also essential to the environment as pollinators and as a food source for other animals. However, an infestation of mosquitoes on your property needs to be dealt with right away to stop this pest from getting out of control and causing serious problems.
Are mosquitoes dangerous?
Mosquitoes may be small, but they are dangerous. Many diseases spread by mosquitoes are transmitted via a single bite, and though not every mosquito will be infected, the more bites you receive, the higher your chances are of a problem. Illnesses you might pick up from a mosquito include the West Nile virus, dengue, chikungunya, encephalitis, and tularemia.
Why do I have a mosquito problem?
Mosquitoes are generally attracted to properties that have standing water for them to lay their eggs in, plenty of overgrown foliage and grasses to hide around, and humid or damp conditions. One of the best ways to get rid of mosquitoes is by evaluating your property for these factors and taking steps to remove or reduce them.
Where will I find mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes are most often found outdoors, buzzing around sweet-smelling flowers, hiding in overgrown areas, and hovering around areas of standing water. If they do invade interior spaces, they will most likely be found attempting to bite humans or pets or nearby windows and doors.
How do I get rid of mosquitoes?
Instead of investing in hit-or-miss DIY treatments, contact ATC Pest Control to get rid of mosquitoes for good. We provide effective mosquito control solutions that ensure infestations of this troublesome pest are eradicated from your property, assuring your outdoor and indoor areas are safe from the nuisance and health problems mosquitoes bring.
Contact us today to learn more about the best way to control mosquitoes around your home.
How do I prevent mosquitoes in the future?
The following mosquito prevention tips utilize things that repel mosquitoes and proactive techniques that deter mosquitoes from buzzing around your property.
- Skip sweet-smelling flowers around your outdoor entertainment areas and instead invest in plants that repel mosquitoes, such as citronella, marigolds, and basil.
- Eliminate all areas of standing water from your property, making sure to be thorough, as only a few inches are needed for mosquitoes to lay their eggs.
- Treat water features on your property with a larvicide to prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs there; you can also use a filter to keep water moving and inhospitable to breeding mosquitoes.
- Address moisture issues around your property that contribute to the damp and humid conditions mosquitoes love to be around.
- Clear outdoor areas of long grasses, piles of debris, overgrown foliage, and woodpiles to deter mosquitoes from hiding in these spaces.
- Make sure your property has window and door screens installed on all exterior windows and doors in addition to weatherstripping and door sweeps to mosquito-proof interior areas.
Contact ATC Pest Control today for more prevention advice or Baltimore, MD, mosquito removal assistance.
Schedule Your Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection
Recent Blog Articles
How To Prevent Problematic Wasps Around Your Baltimore Yard
Wasps are a common problem during the warmer months. Find out how to prevent problematic wasps from coming into your yard.
The Best Way To Keep The Mosquitoes Away From Your Baltimore Home
Mosquitoes are a nuisance to have around and can make it so you don't want to go outside. Discover the best way to keep mosquitoes away from your home.