Wildlife Identification & Prevention
What You Need To Know About Wildlife In Baltimore
Many species of wild animals have become very comfortable in urban areas. Learning about the common wildlife species in Baltimore, Maryland, can help you familiarize yourself with their wants and needs. Read through this pest guide to learn about wildlife and how to keep them from making themselves comfortable in your indoor or outdoor spaces with effective pest control in Baltimore.
Frequently Asked Questions About Wildlife
What is wildlife?
Wildlife is a term used to describe animals that are undomesticated; they are fully capable of living outside without the assistance of people.
Here is a list of wild animals that regularly find their way to our Baltimore properties:
- Groundhogs: These large rodents have compact bodies covered in brownish-gray fur and a short furry tail. Their front feet have long curved claws that they use for digging.
- Moles: Moles are insectivores with cylindrical bodies covered in dark brown dense, velvety fur. The most distinct feature is their paddle-like front feet and large toenails that they use to create underground tunnels.
- Squirrels: These medium-sized rodents have cylindrical bodies covered in brownish fur. They are most well-known for their large bushy tails.
- Raccoons: Raccoons are mammals about the size of a house cat and are best known for the mask of black fur covering their eyes and black and gray ringed tails.
- Voles: Voles are small rodents that look similar to mice. The easiest way to tell the two apart is by their tail. Mice have long tails, while voles have short, fur-covered tails.
While wild animals generally live outside, away from people, many species have adapted to living with us. These animals can live without our help but will take advantage of our properties' reliable food, shelter, and water.
Is wildlife dangerous?
While it is fun to spot wildlife out in nature, these animals quickly lose their charm when they find their way into our yards and homes.
Groundhogs, voles, and moles are wild animals that can cause a lot of damage to our yards, trees, landscaping plants, and gardens. While they are problematic in our outdoor spaces, people rarely come into direct contact with them, and they don’t regularly invade our homes.
On the other hand, squirrels and raccoons are wild animals that we can find inside our homes. They usually enter our homes seeking shelter or safe nesting sites to raise their young.
Inside houses, wildlife can cause many problems including:
- Damaging wiring, insulation, drywall, and other structural elements
- Contaminating stored items like papers, clothing, blankets, and cardboard boxes with urine and feces
- Producing foul odors
- Carrying and spreading various parasites and disease-causing pathogens
Additionally, wildlife is unpredictable, and if they become uncomfortable or feel trapped, they will defend themselves.
Why do I have a wildlife problem?
As our urban habitats have expanded, wild animals have had to adapt to living near people. While all species of wild animals have a unique and helpful role in nature, they are unwanted pests when they invade our spaces. During periods of cooler weather, droughts, heavy rains, or a lack of food or water, they wander closer to people and sometimes end up in our homes. Places inside houses where wild animals regularly nest include wall voids, attics, chimneys, and crawl spaces.
While our properties provide wildlife with many of their basic needs, generally speaking, food is the biggest attractant. Common foraging sites for wild animals include trashcans, dumpsters, gardens, bird feeders, pet food bowls, and compost piles. They also like to hang around outdoor eating and cooking areas hoping to take advantage of any food left behind.
Where will I find wildlife?
While any Baltimore property can experience issues with wild animals, those located near typical wildlife habitats are most prone to problems with wildlife.
Homes near parks, athletic fields, golf courses, wooded preserves, and walking trails are most prone to wildlife problems. Wildlife is most likely to invade yards that have areas of tall grass, woodpiles, construction debris, dense landscaping, and trees.
The more harborage sites your property offers, the more attractive your property becomes to opportunistic wild animals.
How do I get rid of wildlife?
If you are searching for wildlife control near me, search no longer. ATC Pest Control will provide wildlife control solutions you can count on to remove unwanted wildlife from your property. We offer wildlife trapping and removal along with other means of control depending on the circumstances of your infestation. Our team of experts is dedicated to our customers and offers customized services to meet your unique needs. Trust us to provide you with effective wildlife control. To remove wildlife from your Baltimore home, please reach out to us today!
How can I prevent wildlife in the future?
Use the following wildlife prevention tips to help make your property less interesting to these problematic pests.
- Keep your yard free of clutter and yard debris that can offer wildlife hiding spots near your home.
- Cut tree branches back from your home’s roofline.
- Store trash in cans with tight-fitting lids and regularly remove trash from your property.
- Remove potential food sources like bird and squirrel feeders, regularly harvest gardens, and pick up uneaten pet food.
- Keep caps on chimneys, and ensure vents leading into your home have secure covers.
- Don’t keep garage, shed, or basement doors open for long periods.
For more information about our residential and commercial pest control services in Baltimore, call us today!
Schedule Your Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection
Recent Blog Articles
Say Goodbye To Stink Bugs: Effective And Control Methods For Baltimore Properties
As these resilient pests find their way into homes and gardens, adopting control measures that extend beyond the ordinary becomes important.
Termites Be Gone: Proven Techniques For Successful Termite Control In Baltimore
Discover foolproof ways to protect your Baltimore home from termites. Learn effective techniques for termite control in this insightful guide.